With increased problems of parking, many residents now wish to park their vehicles off the highway and within their own property. To do this you require the construction of a vehicle crossing to allow you to cross over the pavement.
For the Council to allow you to have a vehicle crossing and park on your property the following requirements must be met:
- The consent of Torbay Council Highways and Engineering Department must be obtained prior to the construction of a vehicle crossing; this is processed through a licence. No works are permitted on the Highway without a relevant licence.
- Torbay Council’s Planning Department must be consulted, and planning permission obtained if required, for any works to be undertaken within the boundary of the property to be served by the footway crossing.
- If the property was at any time Council owned, then the Sanctuary Housing (Formerly Riviera Housing Trust) must be consulted.
- There must be an area of at least 6.0 x 3.2m available for parking off the Public Highway.
If you require advice on the above requirements please contact Highwaysor visit the Frequently Asked Questions page.
Once you have gained all necessary consents you will require a suitably qualified contractor to carry out the works. It is recommended that your nominated contractor obtain the required licence to construct the footway crossing on your behalf. Torbay Council’s Direct Services and Waste division can provide this service. Contact them on 01803 402909 for a quotation. Alternatively, any private contractor can be used provided Torbay Council has assurance in writing before work starts that the property owner and the contractor will comply with conditions outlined below:
The Highways and Engineering department must receive the licence at least 7 days before works commence on site.
Every licence must be completed in full with payment and all relevant and current details supplied, licences not meeting these criteria will not be authorised and immediately returned.
- An application form for a licence to excavate in the public highway must be completed and the licence issued before any works commence. The application should be completed by your nominated contractor and returned, with a fee of £120.00, to the Head of Highways & Engineering, Lower Ground Floor, Town Hall, Torquay, TQ1 3DR. Cheques should be made payable to ‘Torbay Council’.
- Additional random inspections of each site may be carried out. If the site is found not to comply with the conditions of the licence an additional charge of £80.00 will be issued.
- The specification for materials and workmanship is to be in accordance with the latest edition of the Specification for Highway Works issued by the Department of Transport. Contractors must provide a method statement
- The builder/contractor must be certified by an approved body as competent to undertake the requirements of DETR Traffic Signs Manual (Chapter 8). Contractors must provide a drawing of the chapter 8 proposals
A copy of this certification must be sent with the licence.
- The nominated certified contractor shall remain on site at all times during construction to provide and maintain such traffic signs, lamps, barriers etc., as required in accordance with Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual issued by the Department of Transport.
- Any maintenance required to the works during a period of one year from the date of completion will be carried out at your expense.
- The nominated contractor must have public liability insurance to a recommended minimum of £5,000,000.
A copy of this must be sent with the licence.
- Duty of care: Controlled Waste Transfer Note must be completed where any waste from the excavation has to be disposed of. A copy of the completed form must be retained by the licence holder with a copy given to the person accepting the waste.
- The Public Utilities must be consulted before work commences as to the location of their services.
- The works are only to be carried out during normal working hours.
- The works must match existing footway crossings currently installed in the road. If a number of different types exist, please consult Torbay Council’s Highways & Engineering Division.
- The works must be completed to the satisfaction of the Head of Highways & Engineering. Inspections will be carried out during construction and after completion.
- The two standard detail drawings shown show the type of crossings that can be constructed and the materials to be used. If any alternative materials are to be used then a full specification and details of the manufacturer will be required.
Click on the link below to download and complete an application form.
All documents open in a new window. Need more help with documents? View the Document Help page.
- Feedback - Comment on this page
- Apply - Vehicle Crossing Licence
- Report - Complaint
- Feedback - General
- Search - Community Organisations
- Search - Job Vacancies
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 01803 207740
- Fax: 01803 207639